Harmony Project

Summary

My class watched a about harmony and it’s history. We then worked on a harmony project.

One of My Favorite Harmony

Vocal Chords Viva La Vida

Site Link for the site picture above the video

Site Link for the chords in music score form

I analyzed Viva La Vida again, to end what I started. The chords that help the vocal are four notes. The note that is always played in the chords is the a flat. The chords come in on the second measure along with the tonic note c and each chord is played for a measure in eighth notes. The first chords is in d flat, the next is in e flat seventh, the third is in a flat, and the last one is in f minor.

My Harmony

Melody+Harmony

I added the harmony part to the Melody Lun which is the melody I created but revised on a daily basis. To create the harmony part, I added chords an octave below the melody chords at the end. Then I begin playing around to find out which notes sounded good to together. I decided to put an a on the tonic note and put an e on the harmony line so that it would make a slightly angst chord so the tension could start. I then put a leaping ascending and descending scale of eight notes and quarter notes in the third measure. This is so you can hear the harmony line over the fast melody line’s descending and ascending sixteenth note and eighth note scale.  For the fourth measure, I accented the first and second beat by having notes on both the melody line and harmony line that are good to each other. This was also a way to release the tension created in measure one.  The sixth measure is made entirely of sixteenth notes. I did not create this measure along with the rest of the harmony line. I regularly try to find ways to expand the melody and made that one on a whim. However, I ended up taking a liking to the way it sounded. Not wanting to discard it, I put it in the sixth measure of the harmony part. The notes managed to cooperate with each other and helped stretch the tension created in measure five.

Harmony Composition Terms

• Harmony: two of more notes coming together into a pleasant affect
  • Drone: a continues note
  • Movable Drone: A note that follows the other like railroad tracks
  • Harmonics: Hidden notes (other notes of sounds within the the other; b flat, d, and f)
  • Triad: Made of three principal notes
  • Sharps: Raise note by a half step
  • Flats: Lower note by a half step
  • Major Triad: chords based on harmonics and non-hidden notes
  • Minor Triad:middle note of a chord is a half step lower than a major one
  • 1st note of C Major Triad: c
  • 3rd note of C Major Triad: e
  • 5th note of C Major Triad: g
  • Polyphony: combining parts of melody so that they harmonize
  • Accented notes/beats: notes of beats that is more pro-dominant due to the accent (looks like a tiny decrescendo above the note; a marcato)
  • Chord Progression: When the two drones hits the main note to make a three note chord (succession of music chords)

What I Learned

I learned more music terms and harmony history. The problem I solved was figuring out what notes to use for what chord.